Monday, May 29, 2006

Remember This ....

Well, its bank holiday Monday (in the UK), and I was awake before 5.30am. I am watching a old Gregory Peck movie and remember my first posting oversea while serving in The Army, God, what a sad man I must be !



Well, my first oversea's tour was in Bahrain (1968 to 1969). Not having even left the country before, at 18 this camp was where I was to spend the next year. Surprise, there as no "Welcome notice" and "Hope you enjoy your stay".







It was set way out in the desert, away from night life and women but not the beer. A hut like the one in the picture above, held about 20 soldiers, all in one long room. Where was my small little room, where I had been living safe and sound for the last 18 years. A simple question with a simple answer ....... about 5000 miles due West !




So what to do in this place? Lots of sport,drinking and a little work. I had one friend who was by my side (In the form of pictures, around my little space called Home), that was the girl I had a crush on .......... Françoise Hardy. Although I could not speak French (and still cannot), I loved the way she sang. Her good looks had nothing to do with it !!!!!!!




















I remember our pet dog (cannot remember his/her name).Looking at all the photos from that time I spent in a far off land, makes me feel very old....






Cannot remember who said it, but a quote comes to mind ........


"Home is where you hang your hat."

1 comment:

Mike Smith said...

It was a time of my life which changed me from a boy to a man in a short space of time.

Françoise Hardy ..... she was good looking and not a bad singer, if I had only took more interest in my French lessons at school......

J'ai pu avoir habité en France